第六屆英國大學專題競賽即將展開！活動宗旨為透過競賽的準備，激發學生對科學與商業的興趣和獨立研究的潛能，提高學生的思辨與創新能力，除了學到新知識，也能拓展國際視野及增進表達與溝通能力。本屆由科學及商業領域享譽國際的大學 The University of Sheffield 和 Durham University 在臺主辦，歷屆參賽者已有多名專才型資優生藉由比賽，為自己贏得高額獎學金以及進入英國名校的門票。期望今年臺灣學生依舊能大放異彩，在更寬廣的國際舞台一展長才。
專題競賽分為科學與商業兩個項目，科學項目由 Sheffield 大學主辦，商業項目則由 Durham 大學主辦，學生可自由選擇任一項目進行專題計畫。
The University of Sheffield-STEM Project
Bioengineering involves the application of engineering skills to enable the practice of modern medicine. It covers a wide variety of topics from building robots for surgery and developing bionic body parts to 3D tissue engineering of organs for implantation and large scale manufacture of vaccines and therapeutics.
An exciting frontier in Bioengineering is the use of wearable technologies for enhancing the quality of life for the most vulnerable people in our society – the very young, the elderly and the ill. Wearable technology is a category of electronic devices incorporated into items of daily wear, like watches and jewellery, that non-invasively sense and report in real time the status of the human body.
These reports could be tracked over extended periods of time by interfacing with a smart device and can be used in clinical decision making.
• Imagine that you are an ambitious Bioengineer and design the next generation of wearable technology for a target population of your choice.
• Outline how the device will look and function, who will it benefit and how it will improve healthcare.
• Consider if this technology can be used in poorer countries. You may build a prototype if possible and consider interfacing with an app on a smart device.
• Here are some examples of topics, you may come up with an independent idea for a topic. You may also consider reporting on several indicators simultaneously.
o Blood glucose monitors for neonates with Type 1 diabetes.
o Gait trackers for patients Parkinson’s disease.
o Blood volume measurements of patients with kidney failure.
Durham University- Business Project
*Note: this competition is based on the popular show “The Shark Tank” but the rules and parameters are slightly modified in order for the students to showcase their proposals clearer and to the best of their abilities. For reference, you can watch some episodes by youtube link.
The “Sharks” in the contest will be the judges assigned by Lancaster University International Study Centre.
Competition Intro/ Guidelines
• Students will present their Business Proposals to convince the “Sharks” to invest in their Business. Students will use primarily PowerPoint slides and are allowed to use videos, product / service demo and product model / prototype.
• The “Sharks” can choose to invest between $10,000 to $100,000 or not to invest at all. The student who can earn the most investment from all the “Sharks” combined wins.
• The maximum capital that the student can propose is $1,000,000.
• There is no limitation on what type of business the student will propose – so please be creative!
• The “Sharks” will be given time to ask their questions after each presentation. The questions will be focused on the following:
o Competitive Advantage – why do you think will the customer choose your product/ service over the others?
o Operations – business model, technology, and processes.
o Profitability and Growth – strategies on how the business earns its profit and its opportunities/ potential for growth.
• The “Sharks” will be focusing on your business’ Creativity, Feasibility and Profitability when deciding on their invest ment.
• Students are expected to present their business proposal focusing on the following topics:
o Product/ Service Introduction – providing an overview of the product, service and the company’s business model. This includes the amount of capital required and how the business operates.
o Value Proposition – A summary of the business’ competitive advantage, and why customers would choose your product/ service over other providers.
o Sales and Marketing Strategy – Your plan on how you can reach, engage and convert your target prospects into paying customers.
o Growth Strategy – Identify potential challenges in the future and how you can overcome them and how you can expand your business further.
o Closing Remarks – Provide a conclusion on why the “Sharks” should invest in your business. This should include the expect profit that the business will earn, and the span of time required for the profit to be realized.
科學組 The University of Sheffield
Guard your emotion
商業組 Durham University
Money Saver, Discount Provider,I’m Your Reminder